Hello Communications 324 class. My name is Samuel Schmidt.
I enjoy music that marginalizes groups of people; even though those are not my beliefs. Although equality is a fairly new concept, I do not believe I will ever see it in practice.
When I think of communications, I think of art and technology. Art is an expression of how we remember nature and technology; it is emotions and acts that reflect the ever-changing events in the world. I view technologies as human discoveries and inventions; they evolve with us, and go as far as nature lets them. The question is whether nature is infinite; thus, is technology infinite? Some would believe not. For example, Plato believed that the body was a dungeon for the soul (Grosz 1). My personal favorite invention of all time, whatever its origin, is language, which allows us to think about and ask these questions.
Culture, ideology, and politics are a mere reflection on how humans view and interact with nature and technology. Thus, worldviews and traditions are ever changing with the times. Which brings me to the act of participation; I am always let down by the application of this concept. I do not want to seem controlling or imposing, but I have high expectations of people and the amount of involvement and participation everyone should contribute. Alas, I am often let down.
What do I spend most of my time doing? I believe this to be a loaded question. I would not know where to even begin; so, I will answer it by writing, I spend most of my time living life.
My goal for this class is for the class readings and subsequent discussions to make me think of things I would not normally think about.
One of my favorite spaces would be any McDonalds, because anywhere you are in the world, things will always look familiar to you (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgFIL2CztYY)
Things that make learning difficult and school unpleasant:
– Assigning anything written by elitist academics who lack the courtesy to make their texts understandable (e.g. Judith Butler),
– Abstract discussions in class about readings written by elitist academics,
– Group assignments with uneven participation,
– Lack of windows in classrooms (unhealthy environments),
– Courses not available when they are wanted/needed.
Things that make learning easy and school pleasant:
– Stimulating readings,
– Stimulating discussions,
– Caring professors who know how to facilitate a class into the right discussions,
– Interesting and relevant examples of media texts,
– Collaborative, supportive, and participatory colleagues.